What type of a mentor are you?
Author: Martina Miciecki, Mentoring Team Switzerland, September, 2021
Mentors can take on different roles depending on the topic: role model, advisor, teacher, guide and much more.
I personally like very much the definition given by Michael Sonnenfeldt, CEO and Chairman of Tiger 21. He distinguishes 5 types of mentors:
- Wise veteran: he or she makes his or her knowledge and experience available to younger people.
- Eager teacher: he or she passes specific knowledge on to newcomers.
- Generous peer: he or she supports colleagues or friends in acquiring new skills and in networking with business partners.
- Life Coach: he or she advises others on personal matters or career goals.
- Good listener: he or she is simply there to listen and to offer possible solutions to problems or challenges or to give ideas.
Mentoring is a real booster, especially for inexperienced managers.
A mentor can be useful for his or her mentee not only in professional but also in personal areas. Whether professional or personal – the focus of the exchange is determined jointly by the mentor and mentee. The meeting is voluntary.
This post has 2 Comments