Receptionist Of the Year
Applying for the Receptionist of The Year Competition in the Qatar
The Receptionist of the Year competition consists of various stages where you will pit your skills against other Receptionists from all over the Qatar The winner of this competition will go on to represent the AICR Qatar at international competition in Warsaw in February 2020.
A standard application form must to be completed and signed by the Front Office Manager (who must be an existing, fully paid AICR Member) and signature of the General Manager of your hotel – to ensure authorisation and support.
At the time of the competition the candidate must be a Receptionist (not holding a supervisory position) and available to participate in all three rounds of the competition, as well as at the end of January 2018, if the over all Winner, to participate in the International competition as well as for the judging in the Qatar competition in the year after.
One page brief CV/personal profile of the candidate must be forwarded with the application form by the published deadline in August to the AICR ROTY Organiser.
Round 1 & 2:
Members of the AICR Qatar Committee
1 Judge to be previous years’ winner.
1 Judge to be a General Manager
1 Judge to be the Section President
1 Judge to be from the media/tourism.
1 Judge to be from academia/training company.
Format of the Competition
A number of question will be asked, based on the candidate’s personality and the Hotel they work at e.g. to talk about themselves and their hotel to get to know the candidates better. Furthermore «technical/ product» questions will be asked covering topics like costs, profits, revenue, yield management, staffing level, structure, promotional ideas etc.
In Round 2 there will be an additional presentation to be prepared by the candidates prior to the round about a hospitality/hotel related topic.
Apart from five technical questions, the main part of the judging is the role-play (max. 15 mins) described as a «typical shift at Reception, when one never knows what to expect next»!
The outline scenario brief is sent in advance to finalists to familiarize themselves – especially knowledge of the fictitious hotel and situation described.
After the role play the Candidate will be invited to return to sit in front of the Judges and is given the opportunity to discuss/explain/talk them through their actions of the role play.
General Information for Reference
Each Candidate is required:
- To report to the Waiting room 15 minutes prior to their assigned time slot in the competition
- Wear their uniform
- Conduct Interview in English (should be considered when choosing the Candidate, to have a good command of English)
Results will be announced on the evening of Round 1 and 2, and on the Sunday after the final during the Gala Announcement.
Each Candidate can request the opportunity for feedback from the Judges through their respective manager who is AICR Qatar member.
Terms and Conditions:
- The person putting you forward must be a paid up member of the AICR Qatar and currently work at the same hotel.
- All applicants must hold a permanent contract with the nominating hotel and have to be employed as a receptionist or similar throughout the duration of the competition. Placement students are not permitted to enter.
- Please be aware that you will need to be available to attend all of the various stages of the Qatar competition.
- Only one candidate can be nominated per hotel.
- The candidate(s) is required to attend the competition on the dates mentioned above and if they win will be required to attend the International Competition to be held in Warsaw in February 2020.