Join us for our end of year event around a fabulous fondue!
Looking forward to seeing you all.
Receptionist Of the Year
Applying for the Receptionist of The Year Competition
Receptionist of the Year consists of various stages where you will pit your skills against other Receptionists from all over Switzerland. The winner of this will go on to represent the AICR Switzerland at international level in Zurich in February 2018 and will also receive a further development course. The whole process runs from October to January and is as per the below stages:
A standard application form to be completed from each Country to include Signature of the Front Office Manager (who must be an existing, fully paid AICR Member) and signature of the General Manager – to ensure authorisation and support.
As the time of the Selection Interview, must be a Receptionist (not Chef de Brigade etc) and available to participate in the full weekend of the competition, also the following year if the over all Winner, including judging.
One page brief CV/personal profile of the Candidate to be forwarded with the application form in advance, to the International Committee Competition Organiser.
Minimum Panel of 5 Judges and International President as Chairperson.
1 Judge to be previous years’ winner.
1 Judge to be a General Manager
1 Judge to be an International President (alphabetical order per year)
1 Judge to be from the media/tourism.
1 Judge to be from academia/training company.
(first choice to be invited is a lecturer from International College of Hotel Management, Adelaide).
15 Marks – 5 mins max
One introduction question will be asked, based on themselves and the Hotel they work at e.g. to talk about themselves and their hotel.
Objective – to «relax and instill confidence».
30 Marks – 10 mins max
Four separate questions will be asked on a «technical/ product» basis, e.g. costs, profits, revenue, yield management, staffing level, structure, promotional ideas etc!
50 Marks (5 x 10) 15 mins max)
The main part of the judging is the practical/role-play (5 x 10) 15 mins max) described as a «typical shift at Reception, when one never knows what to expect next»!
The outline scenario brief is sent in advance to finalists to familiarize themselves – especially knowledge of the fictitious hotel and situation described. (Advice – it is in each Country’s interest to submit details of their candidate on time to allow correct period to prepare).
These 50 marks are broken down into 5 sections of 10 marks each:-
- 10 Marks – Conduct/confidence of dealing with scenario/body language.
- 10 Marks – Interpretation of Scenario.
- 10 Marks – Negotiation/Sales skills displayed.
- 10 Marks – Problem solving skills displayed.
- 10 Marks – Guest Relations/follow up.
Overall – suitability as Ambassador of International AICR to be International Receptionist of the Year.
Post Role Play
The Candidate will be invited to return to sit in front of the Judges and is given the opportunity to discuss/explain/talk them through their actions of Role-Play.
Objective – clarity to judges, self confidence to exit their interview.
General Information for Reference
Each Candidate is required:
- To report to the Interview room 10 minutes prior to Interview
- Wear their uniform
- Conduct Interview in English (should be considered when choosing the Candidate, to have a good command of English)
Results announced on Saturday evening.
Each Candidate can request the opportunity for feedback from the Judges/organisers on the Sunday morning.
Terms and Conditions:
- The person putting you forward must be a paid up member of the AICR Switzerland and currently work at the same hotel.
- All applicants must hold a permanent contract with the nominating hotel and have to be employed as a receptionist or similar throughout the duration of the competition. Placement students are not permitted to enter.
- Please be aware that you will need to be available to attend various stages of the Switzerland competition
- A maximum of two candidates can be nominated per hotel.
- The candidate(s) is required to attend the competition on the dates mentioned above and if they win will be required to attend the International Competition to be held in Zurich in February 2018.
- They will need to be supported in attending the one week cross training at a Switzerland hotel within 2017.
- As part of the entry process, we must have confirmation that both of these times will not be deducted from their annual holiday and will be paid at their normal rate.